If you can’t cook eggplants in 90 different way, you are unfit for marriage”. A cheeky tease my Damascus grandmother would say to all her future daughters in law. Needless to say, eggplant has always starred in our household meals, salads, dips, condiments, pickles and what not. Mum mastered her eggplant repertoire and our family favourite has always been a salad/dip we aptly named Mamma Ganoush. It’s perfect with Roasted or BBQ’d meat, on a warm turkish bread, as a meal side, with corn chips and salad, the possibilities are endless…
- 2 eggplants
- 2 red capsicum
- 1 large dill pickled cucumber
- ½ bunch Parsley
- ½ bunch dill
- 1-10 chillies (personal choice)
- 1-2 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 Lemons – juiced
- 3 Tablespoons of Tahini
- 1 little pinch of sweet smoked paprika
- Extra Virgin Olive oil – Decent glug
- Don’t forget Salt to taste
- Fire roast eggplants and capsicum till charred and eggplant are soft inside.
- Put eggplant and capsicum in a bowl and cover with a plate for 10-15 minutes. Uncover and peel.
- Crush eggplant flesh with a fork
- Finely dice peeled and seeded capsicum.
- Finely chop pickled cucumbers, chillies and herbs
- Add garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and tahini to the eggplant and mix well.
- Add chopped pickles & herbs .
- Adjust seasoning and dive in.